Sunday, December 7, 2014

Continuation of the Book “The Giver” Chapters 5-8

As we are continuing to read the book “The Giver”, chapter 5 started with Jonas telling his dream about Stirring. Mother told Jonas that he should start taking those pills and she took that pleasure away from him. It was December and the ceremony of Twelve begun; Jonas’ group sat down next to each other depending on their birth number and the Chief Elder begun assigning one by one.  When it was Jonas turn, the Chief Elder skipped him and went to the next number ignoring Jonas. He was very confused and did not understand what was going on until she called him at the end of all assignments apologizing because of the inconvenience. She called Jonas to the stage and told him that he did not get assigned, he got selected that meant he is going to be the next receiver of memory.

            When Jonas was waiting for his turn to come in the Ceremony of Twelve, something unexpected occurred.  “But she had skipped him. He saw the others in the group glance at him, embarrassed, and then avert their eyes quickly. He saw a worried look on the face of his group leader” (57). My thoughts towards this quote are that first, I think the Chief Elder should not have done that to Jonas, he was very confused and was really embarrassed and did not feel good with the rest of his age group. Second, as they say on the book, the Chief Elder never makes mistakes but, in my opinion I think that she made a mistake by confusing all of his community and especially Jonas. Finally, I think that what she did was a bad way to inform this to Jonas because it was a big news and she told this to him when his feelings were mixed and he could not pay as much attention and give the same importance as he could have done in another time.


As I finished analyzing the previews chapters we have read, I can predict that Jonas’ training for the receiver of memory will begin and it will have a big impact on his life. All of his friends and family will see him as someone more important and will treat hi, differently and his daily life will change. When his training begins, he will see how life should really be with pain and pleasure included and thing he had never seen or heard about. Finally, my biggest prediction is that Jonas will try to change some things in the community but will not succeed and run away from the community. 

6 comments:

  1. Andre I think that your blog is very well done, have a good summery and makes me whant to read it, if I havent. I think that you should put in somewere in your blog I think that. Besides it is very well done, is very persuasive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ari. I'm happy you could find my blog persuasive and interesting for future readers. I appreciate you reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. Andre I really liked your blog.I also have the same prediction that you have. but I want to know what mekes you think that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofi, I am happy we have the same prediction. I think that because I know that Jonas I going to realize the bad side on his community and will try to change it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrea first of all I liked your summary about the chapters and the way you state your opinion of that the chief elder sould not have done that to Jonas, but as it was mentioned on the book the cheif elder never made a mistake. For me this is ridiculous because she or him is a human and can make any type of error and humans aren't ment to be perfect. But I think this type of error was a big deal becuase it is a ceremony that choses your destiny, what would had happen if Jonas get confused and thought he didn't had a place on the community and he was thinking he will be realesed. Well that would have been great and bad first becuase we will know what realesed means and bad becuase it would have been the end of the book maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose Andres, based on what you mentioned about humans not being perfect and everyone could make mistakes, makes me think that the committee of elders will never accept they made a mistake even if they did one.

      Delete